Jonny Miller and Bob’Ezy on Producer Series Vol. 3

Finally after waiting for not so long, South Africa's biggest house music record label pull another Producer Series Vol. 3 double disc album featuring our very own local producer Bob'Ezy who worked with Euphonik and Mpumi on track called Busa and London(UK)'s very own Jonny Miller, who is no stranger to South African sounds. The double disc album was released on the 24th of April 2015 and it features various artists, its first single to be released on radio Give me all ft. Oezlem and V The Vowel topped the charts.

I Love SA House Music had a talk with them about the album and here's what they had to say;

Bob'Ezy

What is your personal music background and what inspired you into becoming a big time producer?

Like many teenagers, I started collecting cassettes, CD's and vinyl compiled by his house heroes, SA's pioneer dj's and producers and inspired by the likes of Dj Cleo, Dj Fresh, Ganyani, Oskido and Mbuso. Totally immersed in house music. I was introduced to the Dj world by Dr.Duda in 2003

How did it go about compiling the disc, did you try anything new compared to the previous tracks you produced or did you keep the Bob'Ezy we know on the set?

I was approached by Soul Candi's label manager Allan Nicoll to be part of the album producer series vol 3 because he knew some of my previous productions and I felt interested to be part of the series. I didn't try anything new in terms of sounds, I just kept the emotional sound with a bit of tribal drums and catchy vocals.

After co-producing Busa with Euphonik and Mpumi, would you consider Producer Series 3 a turning point of your career or would you say this is part of your straight-line career?

Yeah! I would say it was a turning point in my career, Bob'ezy production was well appreciated locally and internationally.

Personally, what does this series mean to you?

It taught me much about compiling an album and I've worked with a good team, to me it's going to be my one of my old time favorable album

Which track from the album would you say is your favorite?

Bob'Ezy ft. Stones and Bones - Lullaby

You have achieved a lot in the music industry and now signed under one of the largest record labels. What would like to say to the young aspiring producers who would like to be where you are now?

Work hard, know your street market, try and be unique, keep producing, and keep supporting Bob'Ezy productions.

Jonny Miller

We know that the first single to be released on radio 'Give me all featuring Oezlem and V The Vowel topped the charts, were you expecting that to happen or was it like let's wait and see?

The track actually took a long time to finish, maybe a year and a half from the first production session I did in the Soul Candi studios with V The Vowel, to getting the final instrumental finished, to then working with Oezlem remotely (she lives in Vienna) and the song coming to be. The song seemed to work well on radio, so yes, I was very pleased with how popular it was after it came out finally.

You spent a lot of time in South Africa and you played in different cities and townships around the country, did the local sound and culture have a big influence in the making of your disc and did you also go along with the UK sound and combine the two?

Absolutely! I visited South Africa seven times now, my eighth trip is scheduled for June 2015 and every time I'm there I see new things, meet new people and play in new places which in turn influences my music in a natural way. My last trip late in 2014 included a visit to the infamous Joe's Butchery in Alexandra Township, it was a real honor to go there and play the Sunday sessions which is a gig I know a lot of the key players in the SA house scenes go and do simply for the love of house. That place has an amazing sound system and the warmth of the bass there really hit me, now when I produce tracks I'm thinking of how my tunes would sound there, am I hitting the right frequencies that would rumble the walls in that spot? Yes, so my experiences SA certainly shape the music I'm making back in London.

Apart from this album, do you see yourself working together with Bob'Ezy compiling a hit single or album?

I'd love to! I have huge respect for Bob'Ezy, his local sound is so free and natural. With the recent changes to Soul Candi's set up in Joburg, including the closures of the studios, it's likely something we do remotely together, I've just started work on my next album, so trust me, I'll be getting in touch with Bob'Ezy to hopefully to work on a song, if he's not too busy!
Do you think or know that the album will also do good internationally?
It's been funny because it feels that online, the album has been a slow burner. I think it will have a long shelf life because there wasn't a massive explosion of interest when it came out, I'm kind of happy with that though as I think that people worldwide will bit by bit pick up on it and appreciate it over a longer period. It's not a flash in the pan, here today gone tomorrow release I feel, which a lot of albums can be unfortunately. Time will tell but the music is strong and will feel fresh for a long time.

Producer Series Vol. 3 is available in all good retail stores.

Editor: Letlhogonolo Ramokgadi

No comments:

Post a Comment